Chittorgarh fort is known to be one of the largest forts in India. The fort has been declared a heritage place as well. The fort is called Chittor and the capital is Mewar that is situated few kilometers to the south of Bilwara. The fort was initially ruled by Guhilot and then the Sisodias took over. In the 7th century the Rajput clans ruled over the fort. In 1568 it was finally abandoned by Akbar. The fort stands tall with a height of 590 ft and spreads across a total area of 691.9 acres. You can find plenty of palaces, gates, historical forts and there are two communication towers here.
The Chittorgarh Fort was attacked several times from 15th to the 16th century. In 1303, Rana Ratan Singh faced defeat by the hands of Alludin Khilji. Bikramjeet Singh was defeated by Bahadur Shah in 1535 and Maharana Udai Singh II defeated Akbar in 1567. He abandoned his fort and then developed Udaipur. They fought every time to shun the enemies away.
Significance of the Chittorgarh FortThe fort pays tribute to the courage, nationalism, sacrifice and chivalry that have been showcased by the Sisodia rulers of Mewar, their women, children and kinsmen between 7th and the 16th century. Women folk, soldiers and the rulers along with the commoners chose death rather than surrendering to the foreign invading armies. Chittorgarh is situated at the southern part of Rajasthan at a distance of 233km from Ajmer. It is located midway between Mumbai and Delhi on NH8.
Structure of the FortThe Chittorgarh fort rises abruptly in the surrounding plains over an area of 2.8sq km. The highest elevation of this fort is 3,526.9 ft. The fort lies on the left bank of Berach River. It is linked to the Chittorgarh town and developed after 1568 AD, when in the light of artillery introduction; the fort was deserted in the 16th century. The capital thereafter was shifted to a secure place Udaipur on the eastern side of the Aravalli hill. The fort was attacked and sacked by Akbar, the Mughal emperor. The circular road within the fort offers access to different monuments and gates situated inside the fort walls.
Today the fort has a total of just 22 water bodies of the total 84 it once had. The rainfall and natural catchment feeds the water bodies. Altogether they have a combined storage of 4 billion liters that can cater to the needs of a total of 50,000 army personnel. The water supply lasts for four years. The water bodies are present in the form of step wells, wells and ponds.